Thursday, April 15, 2010

Response to "Laughter"

I really enjoyed reading this story. At first I was confused when the speaker mentions the foreign girl's laughter, which she does during her sleep. When he asked her about it, she then becomes embarrassed for we don't know why. this particular scene was very striking to me, nevertheless. As the story unfolds, we realize that not only is he fascinated by her, but also wants to be with her. That is when we notice his deep affections for the girl.
The meaning of the story is very interesting indeed. It may seem like a very short short story which can be understood right away, but I believe that there is a deeper meaning behind it depending on how one views it. Moreover, I think "Laughter" is about a girl who is from another country to America and then adapts to the American life. She works in a Ice-cream shop just like any other American girl around her age would. Its about love and cultural adaption, I believe.
What I really like most about the writers style is that he describes the story very well. Its as if we are actually there with speaker because of the strong usage of the langauge. My favorite line is "Love, it's such a night, laced with running water, irreparable, riddled with a million leaks." This passage compares the meaning of love and the many leaks of a running water, which can mean that love has its ups and downs parhaps. There are good moments and sad moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment