Thursday, April 15, 2010

"Strays" Don yoakam

1) I liked in the story, "Strays" this comparison between men and pets. I don't think this is the main point of the story but the line "I used to watch her out walking some mutt she said she'd found the same way she'd found men"-Stuart Dybek, really stuck out to me. I'm not sure what it exactly means but it kind of brings up this negative characterization of the women's relationships.
2) There were a couple of lines that I like but I think my favorite is, "I never give any of them names. We don't know an animal's name. A name's what we use instead of smelling."-Stuart Dybek. The line just really stuck into my head. The use of "smelling" really stuck in my head because it is one of our senses but it also made you really think of what the girl really ment in the line " A name's what we use instead of smelling."-Stuart Dybek. I thought that it ment that we shouldn't get too attached to something because eventually it is going to die. I liked it because it seemed like a nice story because of the fact that she is helping all of these animals but the use of writing gives it this negative vibe.

No comments:

Post a Comment